Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Major Change

It's Tuesday so you know what that means. Just click on the link to go on over to my post over at Sprocket Ink. Go ahead. Click it! Do it! You know you want to. I dare you. What's a little peer pressure between friends?


Aside from that I've been doing some thinking lately. Yeah, I know, I said I'd try to stop doing that since it always leads to trouble but, what can I say? Bad habits are hard to break.

Anyway, I've been giving some thought these days to the direction my life has been taking.



From this thought came a decision. I've decided to switch majors from IT to journalism. (See? Nothing but trouble, that damned thinking!)

Truth is it's actually something I've been something I've been considering for a long time. I love computers and technology but not enough to see myself as someone who sits and writes code all day.

Journalism was actually my first love. Long ago, I put the idea on the back burner due to different things going on in my life and forgot about it over the years. When I finally decided to get a degree, I wasn't really thinking about the direction I wanted to head in. I decided on IT because I'm a gadget geek and thought it would be a lucrative field to get into.

In the back of my mind, though, I always had doubts and the final nail in the coffin - so to speak - came the other day when I was talking to Mrs. C about making the switch. That was when she said something to me that I didn't expect to hear. She not only agreed that it wasn't a bad idea but she also said that she thought that IT was too restrictive of my personality.

Huh...

I'll be the first to admit I'm not exactly a wild and free spirit so to be told that something could actually be restricting my personality, that's actually a new one.

With regard to the logistics, switching majors at this point won't cost me more than an extra semester or two so I won't take that much longer to finish. All-in-all, I think I'm doing what's right for me.

Let's just hope I'm not making a colossal ass of myself.

16 comments:

  1. Journalism would be a good choice.

    Especially considering that the majority of the ones we have today are so one sided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you follow your heart you won't go wrong. Good on you for being brave enough to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're a natural! i think it's a great choice for you. make sure you minor in comic strips, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work in computers, so I can safely say, you're making the right choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a top reporter at Sprocket Ink, this makes total sense. I mean, you are already writing for one of the top news organizations on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome, Vinny! What's that saying...? "If you do what you love you never work a day in your life" I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Oilfield: I promise to be fair & unbiased...

    Except if I write about that S.O.B. Bieber. I'm sorry. Journalistic integrity can only count for so much.

    @ Empress: Bravery & stupidity tend to look a lot alike but if you say it's bravery, I believe it.

    @ pattypunker: I wonder if they'll give me extra credit for my stick-work.

    That came out soooo wrong.

    @ Kev D.: Warning from an insider. I'll definitely take that advice.

    @ Naked Girl: Well, if a top Sprocket Ink roporter says so, who am I to doubt?

    @ Sugar Free: Wise. Very wise. Looking forward to not working, than.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Intelligent, investigative journalism is making a comeback. Awesome!
    No reason you can't write about IT, use both skills. That's great Vinny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go for it brotha! Honestly, very cool man - I like to see someone pursuing their passion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do what you love has become our mantra. My husband is completing his degree in Marine Biology and getting ready for grad school. Income took a 48% hit, but so worth it as we are both happy and loving what we are doing. Plus I can start drinking earlier in the day.

    Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do what you love. Love what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think that you would make an excellent journalist. maybe add a minor in cartooning! love your cartoons! the one on your last post about pms had me in stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Colossal asses make the best writers. True story. Just look at the Times Best Sellers List.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ AC: Two great things going great together! Great! Now I want a peanut butter cup.

    @ Dr. Cynicism: Thanks. I’m getting more & more confident about my decision.

    @ Nubian: Now that’s a great silver-lining.

    @ dbs: Can I get paid to blog?

    @ Greg: Thanks. The cartoons will keep coming. I’m really seeing them as one of my new favorite hobbies.

    @ Elly Lou: I can be mentioned in the same breath as Snooki & Jesse James?

    yaaay…

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! More than one person had this happen to them. For me it was from business to Psych, which I'm not doing that anymore either. Aren't life changes fun?

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ paulsifer: Fun, yes. Tiring too.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, say it! You know you want to: