Monday, February 7, 2011

The Hunt Is On

Things have been crazy with me at work the past two weeks and, as a result, I've been mostly absent from blogging. Crazy to an extremely uncomfortable level. Especially in this last week. The events of last two weeks alone have sent me diving headlong into the want ads.

It actually started just over a month ago with one of my coworkers in my department quitting. This, of course, increased the workload for the rest of us. Not really a major problem by itself. We're a hard working bunch and we were dealing with it. Then, about two weeks ago, another coworker was fired. He was a major asshole and no one was really surprised. His fate was sealed when he was put to work alongside a woman in sales I refer to as Office Diva. She had a knack for getting her own way in the company and he, being unable to curb his know-it-all asshole ways, rubbed her the wrong way. Sure enough, she put steps in place for him to be ejected from the company.

The pressure was on now. Our workload had increased and, at the same, a tidal wave of work came in. Work that was going bring in big profit.

Boss Man and Boss Lady saw dollar signs and started to directly insert themselves into the running of the department. Only thing is... they don't know what the hell they're doing. They've been running the company like it's their own private kingdom and, when it comes to the particular idiosyncrasies of a department, they are clueless. They proceeded to turn everything upside down and, even though things were working before they stepped in, we were the ones doing everything wrong.

Things there went from bad to worse. My immediate manager is new. She's been trying, but they haven't been making it easy. They realized that she wasn't going to be a faithful minion when she refused some of their more unreasonable requests. As a result, she's now certain that they are going to fire her before her probation ends. To be honest, I think they're looking for excuses to sanitize the entire department and bring in staff who are more minion-like (I'm trying to convince myself that I'm just being paranoid).

Not too long ago, all of this would have sent me into full panic mode but I refuse to let it get to that point. If anything, I'm pissed off at myself for letting my stay here be this long. This, I knew when I came here, is only a temporary stop while I tried to find my bearings after leaving banking. But, as usual, I made the mistake of settling. The time has come to get my ass in gear. To move to something more fulfilling... At least until I finish school anyway.

Things will cool down eventually, I guess. Whether or not they try to make a clean slate of the department remains to be seen. In the meantime, I'm dusting off the old résumé and setting my sights toward greener pastures.

12 comments:

  1. I feel for ya buddy. I work for a huge company that is contantly "restructuring". I live in a seemingly neverending state of fear (or is it paranoia?)that my job will be eliminated without notice some day. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read an article stating that although there are no jobs, America is still number one in manufacturing production. Well I think this is because we are all so scared for our jobs that we are all working double time because management have instilled the fear that we can lose our jobs too. Totally 1984 don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel. My work screws with all of us daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best time to look for a job is when you have one.

    I think people settle because they become complacent and end up miserable.

    Total support here Vinny, if it feels like it's time to move on, it probably is. Good luck!

    (Wiki) "Peter Principle" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vinny C. As a fellow winner of Miss Peachy's MVP Trophy, I want to say, "Congrats," and I'll start following you.

    Sorry you've been off your feed due to labor pains. Hope it gets better. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Workplace drama always sucks the big one. It sounds like laying some ground work to get yourself out of that looney bin is a wise idea. Life is too short to waste your day working with and for jackwagons. Good luck with your job search!

    http://rantersbox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been there done that! Try not to stress - whatever happens, will end up being the right thing for YOU. I was a recruiter for 15 years, if you ever need advice, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like the right time to look. no matter what happens, when one door closes, another opens. so just remain positive and open-minded. fingers and toes crossed that you experience a change for the good soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so true. Why oh why are upper management types so useless?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Work dramaz - you haz it! In all honesty, best of luck and I hope you find a great fit somewhere nice (that pays a shitload)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ ALL: Thanks for all the encouragement. I meant what I said about not letting it get to me. I'm going to stay positive (even though Boss Lady's already on my case first thing this morning). Just motivation to stay focused, I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never mind. I'll stop complaining about the weather. THAT situation sounds way worse.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, say it! You know you want to: