Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Nobody Cares!

Okay! Maaaybe I get a little rant-y today. But of course there's also that way funnier post I did over on Sprocket Ink today. Just click here. Otherwise, feel free to continue.

After you visit Sprocket that is...

In life we all go through some crap. Sometimes it can be petty annoying crap that messes up your day, sometimes that crap can be so craptastic it can even be life altering. I've been through both and if there's one thing I've learned from my experiences is this:

Nobody cares.

This took me a while to accept, but the pure and simple fact of it is, no matter how broken up you might be about your troubles, no matter how big a pity party you throw, at the end of the day, people have their own lives and their own crap to deal with. They don't have time to shoulder your burdens too.

Maybe you work for one of those "caring companies". Good for you! But you should know they don't actually "care" about their employees. I'll let you in a secret. It's still all about them. See, they figured that staff are more productive and are less likely to quit (or go on a homicidal rampage) if they feel their bosses "care" about them. Sorry to break it to you like this.

Or am I?

So let's say you had a bad relationship, or worked in a place that totally screwed you over. Do you think the next person or employer that comes along is looking for damaged goods? Maybe that new person or boss sees your potential and decides to give you a chance. Maybe they like fixing broken things and you're their next project. Those will be among the rare exceptions and will only be good up to a point. Eventually, they will expect to see some return on their efforts and you'll be expected to pick yourself up and dust yourself off. If not, they dump you too (WOOHOO! More to sulk about).

Nope. They don't care. They don't give a shit. They don't want deal with your issues. That's the hard truth, buddy.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are those who will care for a while. Close family, even friends will often lend a sympathetic ear or a shoulder to cry on. But they're only willing to put up with it for a while, and trust me, they get really tired of someone who keeps living in the past.

So all that being said, maybe you should think about actually getting over whatever it is that knocked you down and get on with your life. Maybe it's you who needs to stop caring. Just let go whatever "it" was that got you down. Learn whatever you can from it and move forward.

Or not. Whatever! I don't care.

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If I sound a bit harsh, it's only because I care. "Tough love" and all that.

      Delete
  2. I read a quote recently that was something like, "Nobody cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy." I think that's true with most situations, as a lot of relationships seem purely superficial. While I might sympathize with a coworker for feeling like crap, it doesn't really affect me, just as they don't care if I feel like crap.

    But the authentic relationships--the good ones--those people care. If they don't, screw 'em ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I get what you mean. Screwing them could actually help you feel better.

      Delete
    2. Where's that like button when you need it?

      Delete
  3. Or you could put all those workouts to good use and let Mrs.C have her way with you more often. For medicinal purposes. Endorphins and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In workshops I used to give back when I was in the prime of my career and not a floating trailer trash (do you care?) I use to say "Have you ever heard anybody say 'Hey, let's hang out with Vicky! She's always such a drag and complaining about all her shit, we should invite her!'

    Yeah. Uhm. Actually, was this post s'pposed to say something directly to ME? Is there something you're trying to tell me? Like about my switch to WP? Maybe?

    You know Vinny. I had a roommate commit suicide. When I tried to warn our other roomy it was about to happen she rolled her eyes and told me I had to stop complaining. Now she won't talk to me because she blames me for not telling her about it (she's a social worker).

    What am I saying? Do I ever know where I'm going with my rambling? Oh, gotta go I have a new message in my inbox, ciao!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um... yeah-um... Wha? Oh, by the way, if this is addressed to anybody in particular, it's mostly to myself. Sort of a way of helping me keep things in perspective. I guess.

      Delete
  5. Is this about me complaining about how my local grocery store has stopped carrying my favorite flavor or pop tarts? It's been hard, man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This doesn't apply to pop tarts. Not having access to one's favorite flavor is a tragedy which deserves sympathy. I believe this is the one thing on which we can all agree.

      Delete
  6. Good one. I always tell people that you have to "play the hand that you're dealt." You can't walk around saying "why me" all day and expect people to constantly run to your rescue. Sometimes things are hard, but if you don't decide to suck it up and move on, then how can you expect the next person to accept your burden? I'm not saying people shouldn't ask for help, but learn to help yourself in the process. Again, good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know one or two people who treat the phrases "suck it up" & "get over it" like they were insults. They'd rather wallow in their self-pity until they're good & ready.

      Delete
  7. My least favorite part of the work week is on Monday morning when I have 15 different people as me how my weekend was, as if they actually give a fuck. Even if they do, it's only because they want me to ask them about theirs so they can talk about their shitty ass boat that they know I wish I had. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I've had my run-ins with those types. Sometimes for fun I conveniently "forget" to ask them about their weekends in return. Then again, sometimes I don't because I'm a bit oblivious.

      Delete
  8. A sad and hard lesson, but a true lesson indeed. If anything was getting you down that sparked this post, I hope you're conquering it bud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A series of them. But I've decided to take what can from them & move on.

      Delete
  9. Wow, it's like a little ray of sunshine! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it can't always be those depressing stick cartoons ;)

      Delete

Go ahead, say it! You know you want to: