Thursday, October 20, 2016

I Confess...

Forgive me readers, for I have sinned. It's been around seven months since my last post. During that time I haven't conducted myself in a manner befitting a proper blogger. No, not in the least.

I must also confess that I not only failed to post, but I've failed to show bloggy charity as well. My call to visit the blogs of others and leave gifts of commentary has been severely neglected but for a few crumpled contributions. Added to this, I've also been negligent of my social (networking) responsibilities.

I believe my current backslidden state came as a result of the blatant hubris in declaring - with much fanfare (and monkeys) - that I had "figured out" the reason for my sporadic posting and allowed myself to believe that simply knowing the source of my problem was enough to get me back on the straight and narrow path. Without even realizing it I allowed myself to commit one of the greatest sins a blogger can commit by alluding that, as a result, "I was back".

Life is a jealous god and not very forgiving of a blogger's pride. Even hinting that one might have gotten the upper hand against it earns swift and severe punishment. And punished I was as, month after month, I faced endless emergencies, distractions and frustrations.

First came a chaotically assignment-packed school semester back in the end of April (which saw me pulling more all-nighters in one month than I normally would in a year) followed closely by Mrs C's contracting of dengue fever in May (don't worry, she's fine now). June's a blur but I'm sure bad stuff happened then too. July and August had me frantically searching for a new job on the off chance my contract wasn't going to be renewed after it ended at the end of September  (it was renewed, by the way). All during this time there was also the non-stop saga of my father's diminishing health (not something I mentioned before). Life's hits just kept on coming.

All the while there was the constant nagging from within to return to the fold. Living a life steeped in real-life issues only added to my guilt and shame, and served to drive me deeper into my backslidden state.

The irony!

Will I be able to walk the path from here on in? I don't know. I dare not incur life's wrath any further by saying I will. For now, I ask that I only be absolved of my past transgressions and allowed to go on in peace.

14 comments:

  1. As a lapsed/lapsing (I still have hope) blogger, I think we all understand and have been there/done that. I think I'm about a year out in each of mine. I've been writing but not blogging. I think my main issue is the need to make money and as a blog owner, I don't pay myself very well. So I write for others and let them pay me. Good to have a few words from you though. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Getting paid to write is definitely the best (second only to your hugs, that is). ;)

      Delete
  2. This has been a bad year for a lot of people. You just take care of what's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like they're only going from bad to slightly-more-bad every year. I've had enough! Right now, I'd settle for a "meh!" year.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! I only blog about once a month, so don't feel too bad. Glad to know that the wife is better! I'd never heard of dengue prior to this post! I had to Google it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dengue is a nasty one. Something to consider if you think of giving life in the tropics a try.

      Delete
  4. I have had such a tough year I totally understand. (I filed bankruptcy this year) I'm still not over this year yet. Welcome back :) Cause I'm not I don't think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best not to admit it, even if you are back. I've learned my lesson. Sorry to hear about the bankruptcy. Let's hope 2017 gives us all a break from the sucky stuff.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you've been through so much stress, I actually blog to relieve stress (which explains why I post more than once a week). Hope you're back, I've missed your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, you had monkeys.
    It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. Monkeys make everything better.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about all of this. Keep on keepin on man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. For now, if it's at least that much I think I can manage.

      Delete

Go ahead, say it! You know you want to: