Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Of Men, Women & Man-Colds

Most of you have heard of the dreaded “man-cold”. For those who aren't familiar with the term, it's basically how people describe the way a man acts when he's sick. If you believe all the comedy spoofs and commercials, men are supposed become big, whimpering babies, who needs to be coddled until full health is restored.
By contrast when describing the dreaded “man-cold”, women are traditionally shown as the ones shaking their heads and pitying their helpless man-babies as they wallow in their pain and suffering. Also by contrast, when they get sick, women are depicted as the ones who soldier on through their symptoms and come out of it with their dignities intact.

In the C household, however, we're the exception to the “man-cold” rule. I am not one of those guys. Sure, I get sick from time-to-time and, sure, I even complain some (like the time I posted an ad trying to sell my respiratory system when I was sick a few years back). But that's it. I don't whimper, I don't beg to be cradled and cared-for until the aches and pains stop. Nope! Not me. I look that cold straight in the face, flip it off and laugh (and then start crying as soon as Mrs. C leaves the room).

You will note I said “we” are the exception to the rule. By that I mean, unlike the stereotype, Mrs. C isn't the “work through the pain”, or “suck it up” type when it comes to being sick. In fact, she doesn't handle being sick very well at all. And such is the case right now. She returned to work after a few weeks of vacation time to and immediately caught a bug.

This happened because we here in T&T are at that time of year when the weather switches from sunny to rainy. With the increase in rainfall and temperature changes, people always seem to get sick and, being in customer service, Mrs. C is right on the front lines for germ transfer.

So now she's sick. Yup. It's nothing too serious, though. Basically it's just some body pains and a slight fever and once she's pumped up on cold meds, she can get through the day just fine. In fact, she hasn't missed a day of work since she caught her bug.

In between doses, though… that's a different story. To watch her go through it without cold medication in her system, you'd think the guys in the hazmat suits would be kicking down our door and carting her off to a sealed, plastic tent in the idle of nowhere at any moment.
And, of course, as she goes through all this, the role of coddler and cradler is played by yours truly. This leads to a lot of conversations like this:

Mrs. C: Wait! Where are you going?!
Me: Outside to-
Mrs. C: NOOOO!!! Stay here!
Me: But I have to-
Mrs. C: Come, lie down with me *pats bed*. Just for five minutes.
Me: Sigh! Alright.

I try to slide out of bed 20 minutes later...

Mrs. C: Wait! Where are you going?!
Me: SIGH!!!

Needless to say, keeping stocked up on cold meds is a priority. Sadly, since everyone's coughing and sniffling, the good stuff is selling out fast.

By the way, if you're wondering what punishment Mrs. C should mete out to me for sharing this, don't worry. My punishment's already been decided. Aside from us sharing a bed and breathing the same air, I've been caught in the pouring rain, not once, but twice in the last two days. In fact, I'm already feeling my own body temperature starting to go up, so it's safe to say my turn's just around the corner. I'm going to have a chance to prove my own mettle soon enough.

12 comments:

  1. And they always complain about how excruciating labor is!
    It's like they think getting kicked in the nuts isn't such a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tell them anything. Let them have that one. Especially since, if we do try to make the comparison, they most likely will kick us in the nuts in rebuttal.

      Delete
  2. For me labor was no big deal - but jut let me get a papercut or a burn anywhere on my hand and you'll never hear the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, papercuts! I don't mess with those.

      Delete
  3. Our household is just like yours regarding the reversal of roles with colds (although we are both germ-a-phobes and avoid each other like the plague when the other is sick)! I will readily admit that my husband is not a complainer at all when he is sick; whereas I am sure I am dying and can't go on. And I definitely agree with Vanessa that burns suck; however I will not get started on the "joys" of giving birth! HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, but the getting kicked in the nuts thing is no walk in the park either.

      Delete
  4. Ha. What Al said. Don't tell my wife I said that. *eyes dart back and forth*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. On a side note, I'm hoping Mrs. C is too busy with her law exams to get around to reading this.

      Delete
  5. Just before I think I cannot possibly go on...
    I level up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but then the grind starts all over again & it's more work this time. Wait... What are we talking about?

      Delete
  6. Of course it is like that in our house too, I get a cold, and I still go to work, look after the kids, do the housework and cook the dinner.
    Although if the doctor gives me a few days off, you can scratch the going to work bit off the list.
    When hubby gets a cold, he goes to bed..for a week

    See, he is so much more sensible about the whole sick thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about milking being sick for all it's worth, but it never happens. Guess it's not in my nature.

      Delete

Go ahead, say it! You know you want to: