Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Look Says It All.


When you're married for a while, or in any kind of long term relationship really, communication can just as easily achieved non-verbally as it can with words. After a while you can pretty much figure out what the other person is saying in most of the time without them having to say a single word.

I’m not much for talking. Except for when I'm writing, I prefer to communicate with as few words as possible. In most cases I think responding with a simple grunt meets all my communication needs. With the right tone or length behind it I can convey how exactly how I feel without having to invest time and thought into formulating a detailed response. My wife doesn't always pick up on most of the subtle nuances, though (though most of the time I think she chooses not to) and she generally requires that I clarify what a particular grunt may mean. Except for annoyance. I’m really good at letting on when I’m annoyed and she usually doesn’t bother to ask me to explain.

But I’m not only talking about grunts and growls here. There are other non-verbal ways couples communicate. The most popular of these I guess are the different types of “looks” that can be shared between people who are close. Take for instance the look. That one your wife or girlfriend can give you that sends shivers down your spine. When she gives you “the look”, every ounce of courage, every argument you had formulated and every rebuttal you had started to work out in your head evaporates. Mrs. C is really good at “the look”. VERY good.
Of course, my "look" isn't too shabby with it either.
Being able to say things to someone without words is a subtle art form. Over time, we learn how to do it without even trying. It simply becomes a reaction. Something done on reflex and even you don’t think too much about when you do it. An example of what I mean happen just this Saturday.

We were at home and I was tired after a busy and stressful day. It was already getting late and I went into the bedroom and threw myself on the bed. I was laying there, face up, with my legs hanging halfway off and one arm covering my face to keep the light from overhead out of my eyes. Soon Mrs. C came in looking for me.

Mrs. C: Get up! I need your help in the kitchen.
Me: *Growls*

She understood, but chose to disregard my response. At this point she came in closer, stood between my knees and leaned over me slightly.

Mrs. C: Vinny, come on! What do I have to do to wake you up?

(Keep in mind that where she positioned herself and how she phrased her question. I submit that any guy would easily have thought the same thing) I lifted my arm just enough to look at her with one eye. That was it. No change in expression or anything.

Mrs. C: UGH!!! Really? I don’t believe you sometimes! Talk about a one-track mind.

She of course left the room and I followed soon after. I knew if I kept up the resistance, I’d have to deal with “the look” later. Plus, I figured if I complied we would work out what exactly she would have to do in return later.


********

By the way, I've also got more words up at Sprocket Ink today too. Funny ones! Go on, check it out. You know you want to.

UPDATE: As usual, this post is one of several you can find on the Weekend Funnies, brought to you by Vanessa D on her blog: My Half Assed Life. There are other funny bloggers linked up there so give 'em all a read, whydontcha?

13 comments:

  1. Your look made me go straight to my room. *sob*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I thought I adjusted the scowl/look of disappointment ratio sufficiently to avoid causing any trauma. I'll have to work on toning it down some more.

      Delete
  2. I had this vain hope that some day my guys would move past the grunting at me phase.

    Thanks Vinny for stomping all over my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to break it to you, but the truth is, we guys don't really move past/outgrow anything. EVER!

      Delete
  3. I'm familiar with the look, but sometimes fail to interpret it correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to as well, but through repeated & (very) frequent exposure I've developed a keen sense for it now.

      Delete
  4. My mother had the look better than anyone I have even seen sense. It communicated very clearly, "Do not come within arm's reach of me for the next 24 hours unless you don't mind losing your head."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very familiar with that one too.

      Delete
  5. I'm a grunter too! Looks can speak a thousand words. Why are men never too tired for "that?" LOL.. Great post.

    -Elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really explain it. Some things are just worth it, no matter what.

      Delete
  6. Good one Vinny. Yes. Eye contact and proximity is sometimes everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's what I try to explain to my wife. She helped the situation by placing her self in that...um... position, but NOOOOO, she thinks it's all in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Yeah, communication can come via a look after years together. It's funny how that works, but then again, we men aren't hard to figure out anyway. Normally, the answer to everything we want involves sex, food or sports.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, say it! You know you want to: