Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I'll Never Understand It.

Once upon a time, long, long ago, I was single. In fact, I dare say I was beyond single. Back then, my single self couldn't seem to get a girl to notice me if my life depended on it. It isn't that single me was bad looking or anything. I'm actually of the opinion that I was (and still am) pretty cute. Sure I was (and currently am) slightly overweight and only a bit vertically challenged but I managed to get rid of most of the weight (albeit temporarily) in my late teens, during the years I spent taking Thai-boxing. The height thing couldn't really be helped, but I made it work. My problem wasn't my looks. My problem was... basically everything else. I was extremely shy, ridiculously awkward and severely lacking in confidence. Luckily, I eventually outgrew all that...

Well... Most of it.

Anyway, my social ineptness was so extreme, it counteracted my passable looks and made me instantly undesirable to the girls. This persisted all through secondary school and into my initial forays into the world of work. Until the day I was asked out by this one girl.

I was seventeen, working in a cloth store as an office messenger. She was a new sales clerk, working in the store downstairs. She was about my age, shorter than I and even better looking, dare I say. On top of that, she was confident and outspoken. All of this made me suspicious and I actually wondered what her true motives were since, obviously, I was long ago relegated to the reject pile and she clearly did not belong there. Then a friend and fellow coworker, we'll call Swagger, warned me that he suspected she had... issues... of a psychological nature and she might have had a... less than healthy obsession with me.

I decided I could live with that.

So we went out. Things seemed normal enough. In fact, things were normal. I later found out that Swagger's "friendly" warning I received was his attempt to dissuade me from going out with her until he could figure out how to get her to notice him. The thing is, in the store where we all worked, no woman rejected Swagger. He was a smooth talker, confident, athletic and always well dressed. His mind could not comprehend such a concept even existing of a woman not being interested in him.

Even funnier is how things changed for me after this girl and I started dating. Gabe, another friend, my best friend at the time, in fact, was bringing me almost daily messages from other girls in the store who suddenly "liked" me and were interested in me asking them out. He had reached the ninth girl when I told him I wasn't interested in knowing anymore. Even though Gabe was my best friend, I wasn't about to take any chances after my experience with Swagger, so I found... subtle... ways of confirming these reports myself.

Me: So...um... Gabe mentioned you said wanted to go out? *nervous laugh* Is that guy a big joker or what?
Girl: No, it's true. I told him to ask if you were interested.
Me: Oh... um... Sorry. I'm with Diva now.
Girl: I know. Are you going to ask me out or what?

That's basically how it went. NINE TIMES. Nine. All of a sudden, there were nine girls working in that one store who were declaring their interest in me. Some were more persistent than others, some already had boyfriends but were, let's just say, open to exploring other options. Some were constantly arranging to get me alone in the storeroom when things were slow in the office and I was helping downstairs.

Had I been more like Swagger, I'd have taken advantage of all the attention, but I wasn't. I was satisfied with the girl I had and I've always been loyal (kinda like a puppy). I could never bring myself to play around. Before that one date, I had resigned myself to a life of solitude, now it was like the ending credits to that old Beatles cartoon series. Of course, for those of you who never saw the show, I found the closing credits on YouTube:
In case you're wondering, yes, I am talking about the woman who one day became the Mrs. C I'm always yammering on about today. I did, at one time, describe the circumstances under which we met in one of my earliest posts.

You know how people say as soon as a guys no longer available, it's like every woman he knows suddenly notices him? I can say first hand, I believe it. I don't get it, but I believe it.
Enhanced by Zemanta

13 comments:

  1. Aw...how very, very sweet. Not only did you show what a stand up guy you are by NOT taking advantage of the...um..."friendlier" girls, you also demonstrated that you are trustworthy.

    I have six kids, the older five are all boys and the older three of my sons are their early and mid teens with the oldest at 20. I tell the middle son over and over as he watches his more outgoing older and younger brother date and have girlfriends..."When it happens for you, you'll know she's the right one at the right time. You may marry her, or she may just end up being your first love, but either way...she's waiting for you too."

    Hopped by from Kimberliah's Humor Clique when I saw your title on Triberr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could stop by. Maybe if I had an older brother or two I wouldn't have been so awkward growing up.

      Delete
  2. I had a similar experience when I was married. And straight. Gay guys were very into me back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I'm not gonna touch that one.

      Delete
    2. Pirate...you totally walked right into that one!

      Delete
  3. I've seen this happen lots of times. And it happens to women too. You could spend weeks, even years sitting at home on a Friday night, but as soon as you are involved the offers are - well not exactly rolling in - but there are offers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to come up with a theory, I'd guess people are waiting to see if someone else thinks you're worth it first before they take the chance. Kinda like when you see a shirt in a store that you think *might* be cool but pretend to ignore it until you see someone else pick it up & model it in the wall mirror.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it takes a beautiful woman to show interest in a guy to wake up other women to the recognition of desirable qualities in a familiar (man or woman). Or it's all b.s. and they feel safe boosting a dude's ego when they know he's not going to try and hump her like dog with a hormonal imbalance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Safe... Yup that pretty much describes me.

      Delete
  5. It happened to me too right after I met my soon-to-be-wife. Who knows? It might be chemical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't know what "chemicals" they take, but guys better watch out of they accidentally get the dosage screwed up one day.


      ...I have no idea what I mean either.

      Delete
  6. The same thing always happens to me too but with cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you stayed faithful. Something tells me having to deal with a jealous cat is pretty much a bad all round.

      Delete

Go ahead, say it! You know you want to: