Sunday, January 27, 2013

Conversations With Mrs. C - Red Woman Is Trouble!

Mrs. C: So, I had this customer on Friday. I was doing his transactions and we were talking - you know, just chit-chat to pass the time.

I have to admit, she's pretty good when it comes to customer service. She's a natural when it comes to dealing with people and holding conversations with random strangers. Something I had to learn.

Mrs. C: After we were done, he said, "Okay, see you next time, BABES!"
Me: "Babes"?
Mrs. C: Yeah! He called me "babes"! The teller who sits next to me was joking with me after he left. I was like, "Ha! Somebody thinks they have a shot." and she was like, "Yeah, he thinks you're his babes!"
Me: Y'all ain't nice.
Mrs. C: I don't understand how he got that idea, though. It wasn't like I was overly friendly, or anything.
Me: Don't worry about it. It's a guy thing. They always want to chase after the pretty red woman (Trini talk), but they don't know what they're in for. *mischievous grin*
Me: It isn't like I have to spell it out for you.
Mrs. C: No, please, explain.
Me: Fine! It's because, as they say, "Allyuh red woman is too much trouble!" (more Trini talk)


I used a lot of the Trini dialect in this conversation. I suppose, for those unfamiliar with it, I should provide some sort of explanation. I'll have my lovely assistant, Lacy break it down for you...
Thank you, Lacy. Anyway, back to our conversation:


Mrs. C: Oh, is that so? Well pretty boys are self-absorbed and lazy.
Me: Ha! So what? I'm no pretty boy and I'm not lazy eith-... Wait... Are you calling me pretty?
Mrs. C: Shut up!
Me: *grabs her from behind* *rubs my cheek against hers* You called me preeeettty! You think I'm preeeeetttyy!
Mrs. C: GAH!!! Move! Get away!
Me: BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Anyway, like I was saying, I'm not lazy. I should stop doing all the stuff I do around here and show you just how not lazy I really am.
Mrs. C: Whatever! I don't care what you say. I still say you're lazy.
Me: So, even if it obviously isn't true, you're content to insist your statement is correct? Hmm...
Mrs. C: Well, you did say us red women is trouble, right? Well this is me being trouble.
Me: Uh-huh... Touché, Mrs. C. Touché.



24 comments:

  1. Do you really say y'all though? *snicker* Southern boy *snicker* How are your teeth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're in pretty good shape. Only one chipped one. It's safe to say I'm pretty much all over the place when it comes to my vocabulary.

      Delete
  2. Slang from other countries is kind of neat. Thank you for the tutorial though or I would have felt just like I did last week when one of the Jamaican ladies asked me if I had a cockroach in my milk after a sneezing fit.

    They like to leave me hanging for a bit before they clue me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "cockroach in your milk"? Wow! There really are some crazy sounding expressions out there.

      Delete
  3. I do a lot of linguistics studies for my ESL classes, so I love language lessons.

    Red women being trouble sounds like what is said of redheads here. Their known for fiery tempers and being high maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seeing a pattern here. Apparently the color red has a major part to play.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'll try to come with some more. If for no other reason than to justify Lacy going out & getting a labcoat.

      Delete
  5. I look forward to the day Mrs. C and I can sit over a cup of tea/coffee and just talk. Crazy shit talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it'll probably be best if I aviod being in the same room when the conversation reaches to the part where you discuss how she's able tolerate my shit.

      Delete
  6. Very educational today, loved it.
    And love the term "red woman" and there is nothing wrong with being a little high maintenance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. My only concern is it never seems to be "a little" where they're concerned.

      Delete
  7. I like Mrs. C. immediately.
    Oh, and yes. More slang, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why does she always get all the groupies?

      Delete
  8. You should have Lacy teach us more stuff. That was cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems perfect for the job, doesn't she? People always seem to pay more attention to her for some reason.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Nope. That's one rule guys need to learn early. I know from personal experience that you just can't win. EVER!

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed the extra-geeky linguistics lesson, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed making it, so I'll probably be doing it again.

      Delete
  11. LOL! Nice! I like the breakdown you gave of the definition. Pretty creative! I do agree with you about red women though. High maintenance indeed around these parts! :)

    I'm sure I'll get smacked for that statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, being told they're trouble is like an honor they wear proudly. They're all like, "Yeah, I'm trouble! Think you're up to the job?"

      Never a good sign...

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I try to slip some learning in, disguised as funny. I don't always get both (or either) to work, but I try.

      Delete

Go ahead, say it! You know you want to: